Thursday, June 14, 2007

Wikipedia Kates Play Ground

The history

short first: I have never blogged (with one or two g ... hmm ..?)

But I feel like my experience with my first and hopefully only radioiodine therapy to tell.

The background

For over 20 years, I have knots in the thyroid. First, small and in recent years of unilateral nodular in size a chicken egg. 15 years ago I received an initial investigation. According to findings, I have an overactive thyroid gland with autonomous adenoma. This has not changed in the two other studies, spread over several years nothing changed.

They had advised me always to do a surgery or radioiodine therapy as an alternative. Now I have to say that I have a "Schissbüx" on German is a coward, I am. So I was looking for any information and absorbed like a sponge, which made it not necessarily easier.

Professor Pfannenstiel, a capacity in thyroid treatments, I'd even get on the phone personally, as he in a television broadcast was questioned in a report on the radioiodine therapy as a professional. He had a very positive opinion about the treatment, up to age. One should begin only after the menopause and so far over 40 years.

I wanted to know more, so I called - at that time about 30 years old - on. "For heaven's sake," he said, my nodes are already far too large for such treatment. And anyway I was still too young. Menopause - even nil ... The worst for me was that he meant that I was far too young, as one could expect some 20 years later, leave the spoon. He has not expressed the same, but me this direction from this treatment is absolutely not recommended.

what do we do ... or not, what I did not do? The thoughts circled again and again.

analysis of the facts

At least my facts, my now abundant information and votes on the possibilities surgery or radioiodine therapy. I had met people who said:

"OP - no problem Look, you do not see the scar at all, and I felt immediately better.".

I also had known fix in my environment, since the vocal cords were injured, with the consequences of speech therapy, speech training or re-operation, this time to the vocal cords.

Na super ... I live by Speeches, have given many lectures, talk to the sales with my customers. Communication is the most important thing in my life and I still do sing ... What a terrible idea when I am hurt the vocal chords would. A doctor at a clinic near Hanau I had this once on the phone. He said that only every 200 OP goes wrong. Large class ............

In my penchant for hypochondria, I would of course just the 200th. So for me came a surgery at all in question. And according to Professor Pfannenstiel I had to live with radioiodine therapy even only 20 years.

So I did nothing. But the symptoms remained. From time to raid like Tremor in the hands - combined with lack of strength, heat sensitivity, anxiety and high blood pressure. Since I am so "basically" went well, I am not simply went to the doctor.

I almost forgot that I have a long-term carbimazole 5 mg was given. This triggered in me only much more frequent hands trembling and Kraflosigkeit, so I sat there a short time later from easy.

In the last six months I moved my family doctor who once told me plainly that is not too high blood pressure is good ... Based on the thyroid - the scratched always at the lower edge of "something must be done now," it would not, but he wants the high blood pressure under control , And maybe get my hyperactivity is to blame.

He may have been noticed, as he can grab me. Because of high blood pressure one can also die much sooner than you want. I let myself be persuaded, in the nuclear medicine department of the University Hospital of Dusseldorf, located in the Nuclear Research Center Jülich to go, and once there to talk to the doctors.

As you see, they did it. A good doctor, who wiped away all my concerns - I had it of course from the interview with Professor Pfannenstiel said. He led me what great "sites" can handle it, and now after over 50 years Experience, many people would very much older ... And anyway ... no problem, I would expect only a stay of about 8 days.

Today is Day 1

But more on that next blog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment